CalGreen Commissioning Services
We provide CalGreen Commissioning Services for projects throughout the State of California.
CalGreen Commissioning is the professional practice that ensures buildings are delivered according to the Owner’s Project Requirements and in accordance with the design documents. Buildings that are properly commissioned typically have fewer change orders, tend to be more energy efficient, and have lower operation and maintenance cost.
If your building is over 10,000 square feet, both the CalGreen Code and the California Energy Code (commonly referred to as Title 24) require the project to be commissioned. What is most important to note is that the commissioning required by these codes is not as extensive as some industry commissioning standards. We often see commissioning agents applying higher standards than is actually required by the California Building Code. While this may be beneficial on some projects, it also translates into higher costs for the owner.
At CalGreen Energy Services we limit the commissioning effort to that which is specifically mandated by the code. This helps keep our fees low, and the construction costs lower. Our simplified commissioning process will minimize the work required by your subcontractors while ensuring that critical components of your HVAC, Plumbing and Lighting Control systems are operating as designed.
Systems Requiring Commissioning
The CalGreen and California Energy Code require the following systems to be commissioned:
- Heating, Ventilating and Air Conditioning systems and Controls
- Indoor Lighting Systems and Controls
- Water Heating Systems
- Process equipment and controls as indicated on the HVAC and Plumbing Plans and as noted herein.
- Landscape Irrigation Controls
- Windows and Doors per CEC Section 110.
- Building Insulation per CEC Section 110.
For your permit submittal you will need to provide the following documents or you risk being rejected a permit intake:
- The Owner’s Project Requirements report.
- The Basis of Design report.
- The Commissioning Plan.
CalGreen Energy Services can author these documents and have them ready for your permit submittal. This is another area where understanding the specific requirements of the California Building Code is critical to your project. The California code requirements are less stringent than some industry standards such as the LEED reporting requirements. We have the knowledge and experience to minimize this effort and ensure your commissioning process runs smoothly.
CalGreen Commissioning and the Construction Process
The basic steps of the construction process for our CalGreen commissioning services are:
- Lead and document the Design Review Kick-off Meeting.
- Maintain, and update as required, the Commissioning Plan.
- Review of submittals, O&M manuals, and Requests for Information (RFIs) for affected systems including testing and balancing reports.
- Generate pre-function installation checklists and field verify.
- Author functional performance testing with subsequent reports.
- Maintain an Issues Log, where applicable.
- Provide a finalized commissioning report for affected systems
A commissioning agent must work closely and communicate well with your construction team. At CalGreen Energy Services we have been involved in the construction of everything from single family homes to billion-dollar Kaiser Hospital projects. We understand the importance of developing a positive relationship with your contractor to minimize the impact of the commissioning process.
At CalGreen Energy Services we can save you time and money on your CalGreen commissioning requirements. Call us now at 707-328-5299. We will listen to your concerns and provide you with a timely written proposal for your project. We can typically complete the permit application documents within a couple of days of receiving the singed proposal. We look forward to hearing from you!
We respond quickly to emails and voicemails. Email or call us now to see how we can help you.